There are many skin conditions we can be sadly afflicted with. Among these is having enlarged pores. Enlarged pores may be due to exposure to certain chemicals, substances, pollutant, cosmetics, and the harmful UV rays of the sun among other reasons. In result, these large pores can make you or your skin look dull and more aged that it really is.
Although it may be impossible to permanently get rid of the largeness of pores, almost everybody afflicted with this turns to various means that can shrink at least the appearance of pores such as primer. From the name itself, it preps your skin and acts as a barrier between your makeup and skin.
Your primer will smoothen out your skin tone, even out your skin texture, and just improve the overall appearance of your skin. Read on for my ultimate buying guide to the best primer for those with large pores and find out exactly which is right for you.
Editor’s Choice: The Best Primers for Large Pores
- PORE MINIMIZING & ANTI-WRINKLE PRIMER: The pore-minimizing formula of our primer face makeup tightens pores and gives a lifting effect to dull and saggy skin. This makeup primer for face with collagen helps to minimize the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and smooth skin texture so that it avails skin to be seamless.
- SMOOTHING AND HYDRATING PORE PRIMER: Touch in Sol primer face makeup for oily skin instantly hydrates the skin and prevents moisture loss by strengthening the moisture barrier. This pore filler primer will give you a healthy-looking face at once while regulating the oil excretion and controlling sebum production.
- VELVETY SKIN BEFORE & AFTER MAKEUP: The lightweight and non-sticky foundation primer will prepare the skin before the makeup by minimizing the spots, blemishes and hydrating the skin. This face primer shrinks the look of pores and smoothens the skin so you can apply professional quality makeup right at home.
- FACE PRIMER WITH PLANT-BASED INGREDIENTS: Touch In Sol No Pore Blem Primer contains plant-based ingredients like Green Tea Tree extracts and Soluble Collagen. These active ingredients in our hydrating primer help minimize wrinkles, pores, and uneven skin tone while energizing the skin for lasting makeup wear.
- EASY TO USE CHEMICAL-FREE MAKEUP PRIMER: This face primer under foundation does not contain paraben, mineral oils, acrylamide, talc, and animal ingredients, making it perfect for any skin type. Pump to dispense a small amount and apply a thin layer across the entire surface of your face, and massage.
Make sure to choose the best primer that’s best suited for your skin type and skin issues.
Reviews of Best Primer for Large Pores
Primers can be your skin’s best friend if you know how to use them properly and carefully. Primers are silicone or water-based products which help in filling the pores and evening out the skin before you apply any base makeup. The result is an even finish which looks and photographs well. If you have large pores, your skin can look uneven even if you use the best foundation without using the best primer for large pores. If you are looking for some good products in this category, here are five best primers for large pores which will make your base look even and prevent breakouts also. There are also some tips and tricks listed in the end which will guide you to choose the best primer for your skin depending on its type and concern.
First, you need to understand what to look for when buying a primer as different skins have different concerns and needs. Primers are of two types which are silicone-based primers and water-based primers. These are the five best primers which are loved by consumers and you can use them to conceal large pores and make your skin look even and fresh:
- Beauty and Personal Care Product;Dermalogica Skin Care;Packaging may...
Silicone-based makeups contain a formula that gives you a naturally dewy finish giving you a radiant, youthful, and glowing makeup look without smudging or cracking. The Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer, with its silicone-based formula, gives customers the opportunity, to get excellent coverage without relying on heavy makeup products. It is free from any harmful chemicals such as parabens, or dye.
Things We Liked
- It has a silicone-based formula which gives you a youthful glow without smudging
- Imperfections fade away with its coverage
- Has a SPF 30 UV
- Gives skin a silky smooth finish
- Long-lasting and can withstand changes in weather or gym sessions
- Free from harmful chemicals
Things We Don’t Like
- The most expensive among the review roundup
- This primer is tinted and this will especially show for those with a lighter skin tone
- Prime your skin for complexion perfection with this antioxidant-rich...
- Velvet Skin Coat makeup primer instantly minimizes the look of pores,...
- Organic olive oil provides antioxidant protection from daily...
- Apply before foundation or wear alone as a skin mattifier for all day...
- Fragrance and colorant free. Clear, transparent formula can be used on...
This one is another silicone-based makeup product and a popular one, at that. Its formula comes with a gel-powder like and transparent texture giving your skin a very silky and smooth finish.
This primer is specifically suitable for customers with oily and sensitive skin. It can withstand excess oil or sebum in the face and does not slide off. Moreover, besides being able to cover up large pores and minimize their size, its coverage can also cover up acne and other scars.
Things We Liked
- It controls oil or sebum in the face way better than any other primer in the market
- It can perfectly hold your makeup in place throughout the day despite oiliness
- It gives a velvet and silky skin finish
- Does not just cover up large pore but also other scars and acne
Things We Don’t Like
- This primer is not that suitable for people with dry skin as this can be overly drying
- It only comes in a small sized tube and a mid-expensive price
- Not suitable for those on a budget
- Set of 3 (15 ml/0.5 oz each)
- Deluxe travel size
- Preservative-free foundation primer
- Great for all skin types.
- Make-up bag - 8.5'' x 4.5'' x 4.5''
This one is the third product that comes with a silicone-based formula. And just like the other two, it gives you a silky finish without smudging. This primer is good, not just at covering up pores, but also for minimizing other skin imperfections. It evens out skin tone and texture, fights flakiness, and combats oiliness, which makes it the best fit for all skin types. It also nourishes the skin with its content of vitamins C and E and hydrates the skin.
Things We Liked
- Gives a smooth finish
- Moisturizer and primer in one
- Hydrates the skin
- Events out skin tone, covers up pores, and controls both flakiness and oiliness
Things We Don’t Like
- Consistency may be too thin and hard to maintain
- Quickly minimize the appearance of pores and fine lines for...
- Apply this silky, lightweight balm alone, under or over makeup.
- The translucent formula contains a vitamin E derivative known to...
- Compliments All Skin Tones.
This primer glides perfectly on the skin and is absorbed very quickly. It has a lightweight consistency but gives you an excellent matte finish. It can also be used over and under makeup but primer’s main job is to act as a barrier and prep the skin so use it under. Moreover, it has a bonus of vitamin E, an anti-aging substance. This primer comes with a light tint but is generally compatible for all skin types and covers up pores and imperfections well.
Things We Liked
- Comes with vitamin E
- Gives you a matte finish
- Suitable for those with normal to combination skin
- Shrinks pores and events out skin tone
Things We Don’t Like
- Not suitable for oily skin types because it doesn’t combat oiliness
- 2017 Influenster Reviewer's Choice Award Winner.
- Ideal for creating a smooth base for foundation.
- Weightless silky formula is great for all skin types.
- Fills in fine lines and refines your complexion.
- Cruelty-free, vegan and 100% free from Phthalates, Parabens,...
This one is for those on a budget roll. This e.l.f. primer is proof that you can still get excellent results without having to spend a luxury. This is mostly ideal for mattifying your T-zone, the area of your forehead, nose, chin that is more prone to oiliness. e.l.f. gets this done without over drying the other parts of your face. This primer does not just cover up your pores and reduce their size but also covers up redness due to the subtle green undertones it contains to neutralize skin blotchiness.
Things We Liked
- It is a top value product at a very low price point
- It is proven to mattify and combat oily skin
- Leaves a long lasting satin finish
- Improvements in skin texture especially for combination to oily skin
Things We Don’t Like
- The consistency can be too thick or greasy for some and may cause some to feel sticky and uncomfortable
- Size is smaller than others. You’ll be needing to buy more quantity
What Causes the Enlargement of Pores
The only factor that is not caused by any environmental reasons. If your parents have large pores or at least one of them has, there are chances that you may inherit the same gene from them.
Excess production of sebum or what we know as oil does not just cause acne but also cause the enlargement of pores. When your skin produces too much oil, your pores will look larger as oil tends to collect around the pores.
The more we grow older, the more our skin sags hence anti-aging products have formula that can lift up your skin. And as we grow older, the quality of your collagen and elastin tends to crumble.
These two elements are the ones responsible for keeping the skin together and making it appear youthful. As the collagen and elastin crumbles, so will the support system of your skin which will lead to the edges of your pores being dragged down and will make them appear larger.
When you don’t take proper care of your skin, dirt will get stuck in your pores which will clog them. Proper skin care every day is a must to prevent your pores and skin from clogging. Make sure you remove your makeup before you sleep.
Factors to Cons
Makeup products are usually designed with a specific formula that targets only a specific skin type. This is because products such as for example a primer that is over drying for those with dry to combination skin may be a good product for those with oily skins. Knowing what works for you and what doesn’t based on skin type is very essential.
If primer targets certain customers based on skin type, they may also create primer designed to target a specific skin concern. Some primers are specifically made for evening out skin tone; some may be specifically formulated to minimize pores; and in some cases, a primer can do all. In this case, choose the ones with a “pore-minimizing” description.
We use a variety of makeup every day, depending on our preference, occasion and other factors. There’s your primer, your foundation, your highlighter among many other cosmetic products. For this reason, blending makeup can be harder especially if all your products come from different brands.
They will most likely be formulated with different substances. In some cases, their substances may even clash and not be compatible with each other. To be able to blend easily, the key is to get the same base for each cosmetic. If you’re getting a silicone-based primer, make sure you are using a silicon-based foundation. If you are using a water-based foundation, make sure you will be getting a water-based primer, as well.
Best Way to Apply Primer
There are ways in which you can apply your primer to your face. Start with cleansing your hands properly and patting them dry with a clean towel. Then get just a small amount of your moisturizer onto your hands.
This will ensure that you will not end up wasting product or getting too much that might end up clogging your pores. Never skip the moisturizing part. Primer is just meant to act as a barrier of the skin from your makeup and to even out skintone but not meant to be an alternative to skincare.
Allow your moisturizer to sink in first before moving onto the primer. Once it has, squirt a dollop of the primer onto the back of your palm. Next, apply the product onto the center of your face and start blending outwards. Work it evenly and be certain that you have blended it up to your hairline. Use either your pinky finger or ring finger to apply the product for a gentle touch. You can also opt for a makeup sponge such as beauty blender, if you want.
Added Tips for Reducing Appearance of Pores
- Cleanse with the right product
Clogged pores will make your pores look larger and more noticeable. Picking the right cleanser or cleansing product is key. Choose the ones with a content of salicylic acid as this aids in reducing the dead skin cells that may otherwise get stuck in your pores. It will also help in reducing oil or sebum that also contributes to the enlargement of pores.
Exfoliating should not be done everyday or be done in a harsh and strong manner of scrubbing as these will damage or hurt your skin. But it is important that you follow a regular schedule, twice to thrice a week is the usual. Exfoliating will continuously remove dead skin cells that may make your pores look stretched out due to clogging.
- Find products infused with Retinol
This is a form of vitamin A which is located in many over-the-counter products. The Retinol penetrates through the layers of the skin and transforms your skin. This can be usually found in anti-aging products as they unclog pores and restores healthy skin cells.
- Use a moisturizer
Many products can help maintain and restore your skin’s youthfulness and radiance. There are many moisturizers especially equipped for this such as those with oil-free formula so as to not clog pores, those with Retinol, a special vitamin designed to regenerate radiance of skin, or those that helps in building up collagen.
The winner for this review roundup is the bareMinerals Original Prime Time Foundation Primer. Numerous reasons contribute as to why this is the case. For one, the bareMinerals Foundation Primer is infused with various substances such as vitamin C designed to promote the health of your skin and hydrate it.
Second, it can control both flakiness of skin and oiliness making it suitable for all skin types. Third, it covers up imperfections really well such as large pores, acne scars and also evens out texture of skin. Fourth, because of its silicone-based formula, this product gives you a silky and smooth finish.I hope this article really helped you on your journey to finding the right primer for you!
If you have any more questions, suggestions or just recommendations, do not hesitate to leave them down below!