As a self-professed beauty obsessed girl, I know how it feels to be in a rush. Sometimes, work deadlines pile up and rushing off to your destination cannot be avoided. However, one thing remains the same, a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do and leaving the house with a bare face on is just a big no.
Unfortunately, due to this, leaving makeup stains or residue on your carpet floor or rug can also not be avoided. I understand that having to remove and get rid of makeup stains can be a real tough work which is why I provided you the ultimate how-to guide to doing so.
What You Need
|Clean Cloth||This will primarily be used for blotting and also for rinsing. Gather any clean cloth you have with at least one white cloth.|
|Vacuum cleaner is designed to suck up any dirt or dust with the use of an air pump. This material is ideal in cleaning up and drying materials such as a carpet or a rug.|
|Nail Polish Remover||Nail polish remover is an organic solvent. From the word itself, it is designed to get rid of nail polish stains.|
|Hydrogen Peroxide||Hydrogen Peroxide is available in grocery stores or drugstores. Make sure you get the ones with a content of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. This is also used for cleaning purposes.|
|Dishwasher||Dishwasher or dish detergent is important in cleaning up stains related to eye makeup. Generally, you mixed this one up with warm water.|
|Dry Cleaning Solvent||Dry cleaning solvents can be accessed at local hardwares or drugstores. Get the ones that are not flammable. Take note, as well, that you should not be diluting the solvent.|
|Rubbing Alcohol||Rubbing alcohol is primarily used for removing lipstick stains. These ones can be accessed at local stores. Just like the dry cleaning solvent, it it a must that you don’t dilute this solution.|
How to Get Makeup out of Carpet
To get rid of makeup stains on your carpet, you can turn to and use two different methods.
Method 1: DIY Solutions
1. If given the chance, do not wait until you get home. Act now. If, however, not possible. As soon as you get home, go grab a spoon or cloth or any other material you can use to scoop out the product from your carpet or rug. Do it carefully so that it won’t further spread onto the other parts of your rug.
2. Since there are various makeup you use. There are also various stains that will be created. With each makeup stain or residue, there is also a corresponding a specific makeup remover solution you are going to need. If it is nail polish that stained your carpet, all you have to do is get yourself a nail polish remover.
Make sure, it’s free from any color and fragrance. For liquid foundations, you are going to need a solution with 3% hydrogen peroxide. For eye related cosmetics such as eyeliner and mascara, mix one cup of warm water with a quarter of a teaspoon of liquid dishwasher. Next, we have lipstick stains. For these types of stains, just gather a paint remover or a rubbing alcohol.
3. Next, get a piece of clean and damp white cloth. Make sure it’s not soaked. For each corresponding solution and stain, add a small amount of it to the cloth.
4. For this step, remember not to rub as this will just worsen the stain. Instead, blot the stain with the use of your damp white cloth from the previous step.
5. For the final step, just repeat the previous ones until you have finally gotten rid of the entire stain. After you have, sprinkle or spray some cold water onto the affected area. This will rinse out the solution you have used to remove the stain. To dry out the dampened area, use a vacuum.
Method 2: Using Dry Cleaning Fluid
1. Just like with the first method, it is important that you immediately scoop out the remaining makeup residue. You can use a plastic spoon for this step.
2. Next, gather a clean cloth. Unlike, the first method, you can use any colored one with this step. Just soak this cloth in the dry cleaning fluid for at least five minutes.
3. Place the cloth directly to the stain on the carpet. Let your carpet soak in the dry cleaning solvent for about five to ten minutes.
4. Get another piece of a clean cloth. With the use of this, blot the solution on the carpet. This is to soak up any excess makeup coloring.
5. This step is relatively easier. Just repeat the preceeding steps until you get rid of the stain. Then rinse the affected area with cold and clean water.
- For removing nail polish: Besides using nail polish remover as stated above, you can use hairspray and blot to get rid of the stain. You can also mix 1 teaspoon with a hydrogen peroxide then saturate the carpet stain and cover using a plastic wrap. Afterwards, just rinse with water.
- For getting rid of lipstick stains: Additional tips include getting an ivory soap as your main cleaning agent. With the use of any clean cloth, blot up the stain. Moreover, if the lipstick product is oil-based, use Vaseline as a cleaning agent. Place it onto the stain using your fingers and scoop using a spoon. Rinse with warm water and dawn soap, afterwards.
- Do not use any cleaning solution that contains lanolin in it. Doing this will damage your carpet because of its bleach content.
- Oriental rugs made of fabric such as wool and silk are very fragile and delicate. For this reason, it is better to contact a professional cleaning service. Not doing so might just damage the quality of your carpet.
- Do not use cleaning solution and saturate the stain with it. Most especially if you are using alcohol, your cleaning solution might spread through the back and end up ruining your carpet’s latex bond.
- Use dry cleaning solvent and rubbing alcohol with care. You should not let these two substances come in contact with the backing of your carpet.
Getting rid of makeup stains can definitely be a handful. Just remember the two methods, you can either use dry cleaning solvent or do-it-yourself your cleaning agents. For nail polish stains, use nail polish remover. For liquid foundations, you are going to need a solution with 3% hydrogen peroxide. For eye cosmetic stains, mix your dish detergent with warm water. Lastly, for lipstick stains, just use a rubbing alcohol. Removing stains can be a real struggle, however, you’ll be good to go as long you remember the said steps.
I hope you enjoyed this article! If you have some more questions or suggestions, do not hesitate to leave them down below. I’ll see you on the next article!